Tuesday, January 8, 2008

The Easiest Cinnamon Rolls

These really are the easiest cinnamon rolls. I stumbled across this website one morning when I asked DH 'Whatcha want for breakfast?' and cinnamon rolls was his reply. I was thinking "yeah right, like I have time to make cinnamon rolls" No really I do!!!!!

Filling:
2/3 c brown sugar
1/3 c gran. sugar
2 tsp cinnamon
1 T unsalted butter melted (I use marg and it works just fine)

Combine and set aside

Rolls:

2 c flour
1/2 tsp salt (I use just a pinch)
2 tsp baking powder
1 T granulated sugar
1/2 c (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted (again I use Marg)
3/4 c whole milk (rice milk and or soy work great!)

Combine in a large bowl until just smooth ~ do not over work the dough or it will become too sticky. Just trust me on this one.
Turn out onto a well-floured surface (think 1/2 c for the bottom 1/2 c for the top) and roll into an aprox 9x16 rectangle. Evenly distribute the filling mixture on top. Starting at one end roll up dough until you almost reach the end. At the end, press the seam in order to seal.
Using a sharp knife cut into 12 pieces (for some reason I never can manage to cut 12...I get 11 go figure)
Place in a greased 9" sqare (or round or whatever) baking pan.
Bake at 375 for 25 min or until firm and golden.

Optional icing:
I say optional because many times I make these without and they are just as good. I say leave the icing off and save your sugar. But if you are a fan of icing:
2 T of Water
1 C of Confectioners Sugar
Whisk together to form a creamy drizzle. Once rolls have cooled for 5 minutes evenly drizzle over rolls.

Some notes: I have to make a double batch of these, for my small family of four. Why? Well each of the children eat a minimum of 2 for breakfast. There goes 4 out of the 12 (11) leaving 8 (7) Hubby has 3, I may have 2 or 3...that leaves on a good day one or two left in the pan. Means no extra for a snack later on or breakfast the next morning. They are just as good (if not better) on day 2!
Recipe found on the Boston Globes website

No comments: