Sunday, February 3, 2008

Blueberry Waffles

This is something I wanted for breakfast this week ~ and its rare that I make what I want. Usually I take requests on the mornings that D is home. This particular morning I took no requests and just went to work on finding a recipe for Blueberry Waffles. The original recipe came from allrecipes.com but I had to make some modifications to it in order to satisfy the family :) So here you go...my Blueberry Waffle Recipe:

3 egg yolks, beaten
1 2/3 cups milk (I used Rice Milk)
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 1/4 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup melted butter
3 egg whites, stiffly beaten
2/3 cup blueberries


In a medium bowl, whisk together egg yolks and milk. Stir in flour, baking powder, salt and sugar. Stir in butter, and set mixture aside for about 30 minutes.
Preheat a lightly greased waffle iron.
Fold egg whites and blueberries into the mixture. Scoop portions of the mixture into the prepared waffle iron, and cook until the waffle iron signals it's 'done'.

Some notes; These would *probably* be better if made with the small blueberries (I only had the large ones on hand) or if made in a Belgian waffle iron (mine isn't). They turned out thicker than our normal waffles. Either way they tasted great and it was worth the work IMHO!

No comments: