Sunday, February 3, 2008

Pad Thai (with Chicken) ~ Feb Recipe Challenge


I love Pad Thai. I've been searching for a good fairly easy recipe. I've tried numerous ones that have failed miserably. This one I found on yahoo one day when they were featuring make your own take out. I of course had to make some modifications as I didn't have the crushed peanuts on top, and I wanted chicken instead of shrimp (although either would be good!)


4 ounces dried rice noodles (I used aprox 6 oz)
2 teaspoons peanut oil
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 large egg, lightly beaten (I used 2 eggs)
8 ounces small shrimp, peeled and deveined (I used chicken)
2 cups mung bean sprouts (eyeball it!)
1/2 cup sliced scallion greens (again eyeball it!)
3 tablespoons rice vinegar (this is really strong...next time I might use a little less)
2 1/2 tablespoons fish sauce
2 tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoon chile-garlic sauce



Soak rice noodles in warm water to cover in a large bowl until they are limp and white, about 20 minutes.
Heat oil over high heat in a wok or large deep skillet until very hot. Add the garlic and stir-fry until golden, about 10 seconds. Add the egg and cook, stirring, until scrambled, about 30 seconds. Add shrimp and stir-fry until they curl and turn pink, about 2 minutes.
Drain the noodles and add to the wok, tossing with tongs until they soften and curl, about 1 minute. Add bean sprouts, scallion greens, vinegar, fish sauce, sugar and chile-garlic sauce; toss until the shrimp are fully cooked and noodles are heated through, 1 to 2 minutes.


Some notes ~ really make sure your noodles are drained quite well. Make sure though that you do soak them for 20 min even if the box says to soak them for less time. I've soaked them for less time in other recipes and its just not as good. Also because I used chicken I used one chicken breast that I cut-up and pre-cooked.

No comments: